SEVA ATD Spring 2017 Book Club
Make It Stick– The Science of Successful Learning
by Peter C. Brown, Henry L. Roediger III, Mark A. McDaniel
To most of us, learning something "the hard way" implies wasted time and effort. Good teaching, we believe, should be creatively tailored to the different learning styles of students and should use strategies that make learning easier. Make It Stick turns fashionable ideas like these on their head. Drawing on recent discoveries in cognitive psychology and other disciplines, the authors offer concrete techniques for becoming more productive learners.
Many common study habits and practice routines turn out to be counterproductive. Underlining and highlighting, rereading, cramming, and single-minded repetition of new skills create the illusion of mastery, but gains fade quickly. More complex and durable learning come from self-testing, introducing certain difficulties in practice, waiting to re-study new material until a little forgetting has set in, and interleaving the practice of one skill or topic with another. Speaking most urgently to students, teachers, trainers, and athletes, Make It Stick will appeal to all those interested in the challenge of lifelong learning and self-improvement.
Book Club begins Tuesday, April 18: 7 – 8 pm,
Deadline to Register: C.O.B April 12th
Book Club Goals
· Relevant books from various industry leading thinkers
· Discussions to explore meaning and broaden perspectives
· How to integrate and apply any new knowledge to our work and/or personal life
You can look forward to
· Five (5) live bi-weekly on Tuesday evenings, (4/18, 5/2, 5/16, 5/30, 6/6) sessions.
· Using screen share, chat, HD video (12 HD streams), & computer based audio.
Registration and Order process:
· SEVA ATD will provide a complimentary book to the first 7 members who register.
· Non-members can participate by obtaining their own book and pay a small fee of $5.00. Non-members must register via this registration to participate.
· Books ordered via Amazon & shipped directly to you. Provide your address and preference of e-Book or book, when registering.
Register for Spring Book Club – Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning
For inquiries, contact: Shari Carrithers: email@example.com or Nancy Hardy: firstname.lastname@example.org 757 636 8305